The Old Posthouse Guesthouse has evolved into its present-day form over the last 165 years or so. The west wing of the house, which now contains the guest bedrooms and bathrooms, is believed to have been built in 1840. The east wing was added around 1860. For many years this addition was the local Village Store and Post Office. This photograph dates from the early 20th century and shows Mr Pell the grocer standing in his shop doorway. Motor vehicles are not much in evidence!
Numerous other additions have been made to the rear of the property over the years, including the present day kitchen and storerooms. The Post Office finally closed in the early 1980s and for some time the future of the building was in question. However, since then it has seen a variety of uses including an antique shop and tea-rooms. It was converted into a Guesthouse in the late '80s.
We acquired The Old Posthouse in 1999 and set about improving the
standard of accommodation with the addition of en-suite facilities in
all rooms and extensive redecoration. The property is double glazed
throughout and centrally heated with thermostatic controls in all guest
rooms. We have even installed a solar energy collection system which
provides the majority of our hot water throughout the year in an
environmentally friendly way.
Mains drinking water is provided in all guest bathrooms and we
try to maximise the use of home grown and other local produce at breakfast time. We are one of the few establishments in the
area to have been presented with a Healthy Eating Award by Horsham District Council.
You are assured of a friendly welcome.
Back to Homepage